Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Weird Roadside Graveyard - Shannon, AL



I was out riding Sunday and caught a glimpse of an abandoned graveyard between Bessemer and Homewood, in Shannon. At first glance the headstones were SO CLOSE to the road, I thought I had mistaken them for something else, but there they were. I went back to get the camera because it was so weird, headstones less than 10 feet off the road. I wandered into the forgotten resting place assuming I would find a few 100-year old headstones, fascinated with the history behind the long dead residents of Shannon. I actually found many stones dating to the late 50s and 60s, and to my amazement, a 90 ft pine tree was growing out of the center of one grave.

So there I was, wondering around in thick woods, looking the sunken gravesites over as if it were a crime scene, awestruck how so many people could be abandoned.

Definitely worth a stop if you are in the area.




View Larger Map

More graveyards in the Oxmoor-Shannon area here

0 comments: