Monday, October 13, 2008

The Beginning...where will it lead?


I finally got serious about finding some folks to ride with. The folk’s that told me about Bamarides.com are the couple that rides the little scooters in the Most Alabama Counties Challenge. Nice folks they are. Upon visiting the website, I saw there were lots of rides going on…and I had no idea!

Living down here in Chilton County (aka Nowhere, Alabama), I rarely see anyone out on a bike. Being a lady rider, I am somewhat apprehensive to approach some big burly man on a motorcycle… and if I do decide to talk to him…more often than not, the thought runs across my mind - when he mentions getting together to ride…Why is he asking that? Is there an ulterior motive? So caution guides me. Now guys I don’t want you to think women riders operate in paranoia mode…but dang…it’s a crazy world out there. Oh and please don’t “little lady” me…True I am all of 5’2” and true enough if I park in the wrong place, I might have to ask for some help…but we all need help now and then don’t we?

Speaking of parking. I needed to tag my Suzuki Volusia, so a trip the illustrious Chilton County tag office was in order. Being 5’2” and on a substantial size bike comes with its “challenges.” The Courthouse is across the street from the tag office and court was in session. I ride in, scope the area for a reasonable parking place. By reasonable I mean that geometric calculations were occurring at lightning speed inside my head. I do not want to park where I am too leaned over on the kick stand. I do not want to park where someone on their cell phone, drinking coffee and adjusting the radio can run over my bike and I do not want to park where I can get a ticket. So I choose the bank across the street. I *thought* my calculations had served me well. Upon returning, I place my new tag on, put the stickers on, get everything situated in the saddlebags, get helmet on…you know the whole ritual. I swing my leg over and get seated on the bike and go to lift it to upright position. Uh, it ain’t gonna happen. It seems with all the calculations in my head; I have made a dread error. It is leaning too far to the left and my little short legs can NOT lift it into an upright position. Oh Crap! So now a scenario is playing in my mind. I am going to have to ask a perfect stranger for help. Totally embarrassed, I am sitting there on my bike with my head hung in shame….waiting……waiting for a warm body to appear. Finally, a clean cut gentleman, wearing scrubs, about the age of 40 comes out of the tag office. “Excuse me sir. I have myself in a precarious situation. Would you or could you be so kind to give me a little nudge to the upright position? Just 2 or 3 inches will do.” He was so kind and did not make me feel like an idiot although I felt like one anyway. He said, “Sure, I have done this myself." [which I sort of doubted]. He helped me and off I went. So, when we are out riding together….and we get ready to park…you may perhaps see what appears as anxiousness come across my face…while I calculate my parking position. I mean dang, how many humiliations can a person take??

Hopefully…first in a series…

AngelVal

1 comments:

spaztech said...

I always joke about people stalling their bikes, especially when it is front of a group of riders, like I've never done it myself. You probably didn't notice but I stalled the bike Saturday when we all rode into the Vicky Lynn Party.. in front of oh, what, 350+ bikers.. I couldn't help but laugh.. my wife caught the joke because I've mentioned it before.. so we just kept rolling, kicked it over again and laughed some more.

I say that to say this, we're glad to have you and your short legs.

Welcome again to Bama Rides!