Thursday, October 16, 2008

Contemplation...and Remembering...


October 16, 2008

The old Suzuki Volusia was the precursor to the Boulevard C-50. I bought it from an old guy who decided he just couldn’t ride anymore. He put 17K miles on it...and it was pretty. Always garage kept, white and silver everything polished. He even added hard bags and a trunk. Inside the trunk was a little treasure for long rides…a CB Radio. He had his helmet rigged up to be able to plug in and go. I didn’t keep the Suzuki long, just a few months, then I started thinking…bigger I want bigger. I had sworn I would never go as small as an 800 again, because the little 883 Sportster like to have beat me to death in the 90’s. I sold that pretty little thing when I went back to college (but college is another topic). The good thing about the Sporty was that I sold her for what I bought her for. So now I am thinking…Heritage Soft Tail…and I get a call from my cousin Mark, he is turning 50. We grew up together, always loved each other more than momma’s love their microwaves, and he asked me to come up to help celebrate his birthday. He wants us to ride “The Dragon” together. He lives in Townsend, TN…and I live in Chilton County, AL….I really want to try out a Soft Tail…I say give me an hour…and I will be on my way. I drove the cage up (Honda Civic si).

Upon arriving at cousin Marks, we discuss going over to Smokey Mountain Harley to rent me a bike to ride a couple of days. Mark calls and reserves that Heritage Soft Tail I have been drooling over. We go on over and I get it for a couple of days. It is always a little entertaining to watch men try not to “little lady” me (you know that is a *slight*pet peeve of mine). The guy doing the rental paperwork with me kept looking at me….like he was sizing me up. We went out to check the bike out…the dude stopped just short of saying, “Are you gonna be alright?” His body language was eat up with … I don’t know about this…she’s really short…and she’s a SHE. I am generally quiet when guys go through this internal sizing up…I figure if you hang with me long enough, you will figure out everything is okay. Mark knows those guys up there; he and I had exchanged glances and did the mind meld thing, so he began to notice the rental dude doing the internal freak out. I heard Mark snicker a little under his breath…then he walked up…told the guy to relax, “She’s been riding since she was 11.” I took the Heritage for a trial spin around the lot, came back and thanked the guy…and away I went. The rental guy was super nice and he did very well covering his apprehensive feelings, but I am a woman and a mother…it’s hard to hide when you are with me.

Coming Soon….The Dragon and Me…and other tales.

AngelVal

0 comments: